Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Accepting The Process

Everything in my life follows a certain process. I put my socks on before putting on my shoes, always beginning with my right foot. I put on deodorant after putting on my shirt. And when I shop at the supermarket, I always begin in the frozen foods section. Find the neon green "Pizza" sign hanging from the ceiling, shiver while swinging open the glass door, and grab four pepperoni-topped Celeste's.

I also follow a routine after every break-up. It is emotional in nature, consisting of a lot of hope and even more denial. My break-up with Elijah was no exception.

After the door closed behind me, Elijah and I walked over to the couch, sitting on opposite ends, to discuss the future of our relationship. My body shook as he began to express himself.

"My feelings for you haven't changed. This isn't a rejection," he said.

My heart surged. I felt hopeful. I knew we could make our relationship work.

"But I still need time," he said.

He lowered his head and remained silent as my heart raced and temper flared.

"I think you should pack up your clothes," I replied.

I wanted a reaction.

"We're not breaking up," he said.

I stroked the side of his face with my right hand and smiled. I felt hopeful once again, opened my long arms and held Elijah in an embrace. I asked him for a kiss and he did so willingly. As we kissed, I strolled through the aisle of Denial, where Nostalgia and Faith were always in stock, and grabbed a handful of both. Our lips then parted. I opened the door. He said he would call. Back to hope again.

I locked the door and sat on the checkered pattered loveseat. Tears of sadness and confusion flowed for hours. I then walked to my bedroom and lay atop my green and beige comforter. Held my pillow while replaying his words in my head. We're not breaking up. We're not breaking up. We're not breaking up. The words filled me with ease. I wanted to hold on to what we had and all the good he had shown me. I fell asleep feeling hopeful.

The next morning reality hit. He wasn't lying next to me, watching me with his caramel-colored eyes as he had so many times. I couldn't call him to wish him good morning though I yearned to do so. I didn't know when I would see him next. Hope had been returned, stacked neatly in Denial behind Anger and Faith. That morning I was only left with Sadness, only left with awareness. I would have to complete the process. I would have to learn to move on and embrace Acceptance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

another great one!

Anonymous said...

AWWWWWW!
Hugs for you..... MUAH!

Anonymous said...

things are the way they are, they come to an end just like this chapter seems to be doing and its all in the name of good mental health.