Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Welcome to La La Land, USA!


I once was a resident of La La Land, USA. I lived in a cozy studio apartment, decorated with framed photos and memories of past boyfriend’s. Red paper hearts covered the white walls. The one birthday card my ex-boyfriend Cole gave me, signed from me and my boys, stood atop my entertainment center. And I set a statue of Cupid and a gray porcelain elephant next to the birthday card for luck.

Besides the occasional appearance of Conchita, a trying game of Limbo, and a few ghosts, living in La La Land was pretty uneventful. Even still La La Land was overflowing with residents. My friend Laura joined the town on the night of her 26th birthday celebration. Laura’s boyfriend stood tall, ogling me between swigs. I avoided his nonverbal advances and watched Laura beam as she kissed him. It was official. Laura would pack her bags and become my neighbor that very night.

I was persuaded to leave Laura and La La Land two weeks after Elijah and I had our sexual encounter. This retreat is just temporary! I exclaimed before joining my friends in Glassboro, New Jersey. We were going to dance the night away at the happening club, The Spot, where Elijah also frequented. I walked in and scanned the small room. Young college boys stood by the bar, taking advantage of the “two-dollar you-call-it” drinks, while white sorority girls danced to their own rhythm and rubbed against one another in their temporary state of drunken lesbianism. The music pumped from the speakers as my friends and I made our way to the dance floor. My hips swung and my ass gyrated as I sang along to Don’t Cha. I jiggled and shook what my momma gave me, my arms raised in celebration. The song came to an end and I spotted Noel, Elijah’s friend, standing by the door in his black two-piece Bouncer uniform. He smiled and waved me over.

“Hey girl, long time no see,” said Noel as he gave me a hug.

“Yeah I haven’t been going out much, just been at home lately,” I replied.

He took a step back and smiled.

“Have you talked to Elijah lately?” he asked.

I paused, wondered if he knew Elijah and I had reunited two weeks prior.

“Yeah actually. We just hung out.”

“Oh wow, I didn’t know you guys were cool like that still. So what? Are you back together?” Noel asked.

The question circled my thoughts. Are we back together? Well, we’re not apart. But we haven’t talked about us. But he did tell me he missed me. I looked away, confused.

“Hey, it’s alright. I know how it is. You guys are hanging out, you know, doing your thing...,” said Noel.

My jaw dropped. I knew what he meant. He was labeling Elijah as my booty buddy, or was it the other way around? I felt the need to explain.

“No, it’s not like that at all. Elijah knows me better than that. He knows that I’m a relationship girl. Besides he cares about me too much to put me in that situation.”

“Oh he cares. He definitely cares,” replied Noel with a tinge of sarcasm.

I remained silent, secretly wishing I had stayed in La La Land.

“Just be careful. You may think this is one thing and it can be something completely different for him.”

I smiled half-heartedly, thanked Noel for his concern, and danced my way through the drunken and clueless crowd. I went back to La La Land that very night and had a great nights rest.

A week later Elijah called and promised he would come for a visit. I waited up till two in the morning but he never showed. I tossed and turned till four in the morning but he never called. The next morning I left Elijah a message, demanding better treatment, respect, and to be placed as a priority on his list. Elijah never returned my call. I packed my bags and terminated the lease of my studio apartment immediately. I left La La Land, USA to start a new life in the beautiful town of Reality Check.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is your best piece yet... a reader in nyc

Anonymous said...

Nothing like lesbian sorority sisters to brighten up your day!

Anonymous said...

Damn woman, you sure do know how to tug on the heart strings... and you've got quite the knack for story-telling.